Virginia Tech’s Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost is pleased to invite proposals for the Virginia Tech Visiting Scholars Program. This program is designed to help Virginia Tech departments to attract outstanding and diverse candidates for faculty positions. Financial and administrative support is available for departments to bring early- to mid-career professionals to campus for short visits outside the usual recruitment process.
Visiting Scholars may be invited to present an overview of their research to a broad audience of the university community or to informal networking meetings with faculty, postdoctoral researchers and/or graduate students. Ample time will be available for the scholarly/technical aspects of the visit, to be organized by the host department in conjunction with the Office for Diversity and Inclusion and AdvanceVT.
The program is especially interested in supporting visits by individuals who:
- are potential candidates for current or future faculty hires; and
- contribute to increasing excellence, equity and diversity at Virginia Tech.
Virginia Tech academic units or faculty who wish to invite an individual to campus under the Visiting Scholars Program should submit an informal letter proposal including the following:
- a brief profile of the proposed visitor, preferably including a short resume (1-2 pages);
- a brief description of how the proposed visit will contribute to faculty recruitment efforts;
- a brief summary of how the proposed visit will support creating and sustaining a more diverse and inclusive community at Virginia Tech;
- a budget for the visit; and
- an endorsement by the department chair.
Proposals are accepted at any time during the academic year; about ten awards will be made each year. Cost sharing is encouraged, and flexible arrangements are welcome. For more information or to submit a proposal, please contact Peggy Layne at email@example.com.
Questions about visas for foreign visitors should be directed to the Office for International Support Services.